To The Lucky Go The Spoils: An Unexpected Score


Guess I can add 'Accomplished Treasure Hunter' to my many titles.

Or maybe just 'Damn Lucky' for short.

How, or why, the rest of America let this one slip by, I will never understand, but will be forever grateful for.

I'm not quite sure just how long this highly desired specimen was sitting there online, unnoticed, in all her rare and flawless glory, but I certainly saw her for the treasure she is, and promptly claimed her as mine. ALL MINE!













This is "Dinner For Two" from the 'First Year' series. (A series that depicts, what I suppose was at one time, a typical first year of marriage.)
This doll, I feel, is one of the more elaborate of all the Josef dolls. From her beautiful off-the-shoulder gown, to the adjoined table with its settings and roses, and of course the little candelabra being lit in order to set the mood... Simply stunning.

I never in a million years thought I'd own this doll given the fact that the only other mint "Dinner For Two" I have ever seen had sold for over $240 back in 2012.
http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-1230535/super-vintage-josef-originals-tall-victorian-lady-lighting-candle-figurine.html

When found in such exceptional condition, she can easily be considered like the Holy Grail of Josefs. (Did I mention she is absolutely flawless?!)

And the best part is I didn't have to break the bank to get her. In fact, I only paid $45 + $9 shipping for her. Talk about hitting the Jackpot!

Why anyone else would have passed up this amazing find is beyond me.
Was I really the first and only person to stumble upon her on what is a pretty well-known site? Highly doubtful.

But in any case, thank you, America! Your blown opportunity is my amazing gain. I've been getting mightily screwed lately on the Josef front when it comes to online auctions. I've been beaten down and missin' out on some pretty desirable pieces. So hopefully this is a sign of things turning around for me.

And of course an even bigger THANK YOU to the seller who didn't do her research before listing!


Comments

  1. Jaw. Dropped. This is one of my Holy Grail pieces. I saw one on instagram and wanted to drive to Ohio to pick it up...and I live in Florida! You have a gift, and I am so jealous right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts