Josef Junkies, Hear My Cry!

Calling all fellow Josef Junkies! 
I need your help!

This pretty angel is part of my Josef collection, and I am quite fond of it, however I have what I am hoping is an irrational fear that it may in fact be an imposter.




Firstly, I don't trust the person I bought this figurine from. She is sneaky and dishonest.
Sure, the Josef Originals label is present, but I wouldn't say that it is firmly affixed. And it just struck me now, looking at the above photo, the size of the label seems a tad too big for this size of doll.
I certainly would NOT put it past this person to just stick the label on a figurine in order to pass it off as a Josef so she could get a little extra ching-a-ling.



Secondly, it is not marked in any other way as being a Josef. She is not incised, or stamped, on the underside. I know, I know... there are a few series out there that aren't stamped or signed underneath, for instance the 'Small World' series. But the fact is, there just aren't many out there that are actually like that, so it still leaves me uneasy.

Thirdly, I have never, ever seen this figurine anywhere before, or any others that would possibly go with it to make up a series. And I highly doubt it was made as a stand-alone figurine, as that would be very unusual.
I had originally thought she was part of the 'Story Angels' series because she is styled in a similar fashion: same short hair style, she is holding an object in her hand, has gold stars on her gown, and she has a v-shaped stole (I had to look that term up).
However, as soon as I had her in my hands I knew I was wrong: she is quite a bit smaller, the wings are styled quite differently, and the 'Story Angels' all have gold stars that are painted onto their dresses, whereas the stars on this angel are raised. And again, the 'Story Angels' are signed on the bottom, and the mystery angel is not.

Figurines are clearly different sizes and the stars are not the same

Wings are very different

Not signed vs signed

So definitely not a 'Story Angel'.

Then I thought perhaps she was part of the 'Musical Angels' series, because they DO have raised stars on their gowns....but nope. From researching online I found mine is of a different height, and again, they are marked on the bottom. Comparing them, I found the 'Musical Angels' to have different styled wings, hair, and face, and they all have halos, when mine does not. Plus, that series already has an angel with a harp, so they already have that instrument covered for their band of angels.


So she's not a 'Musical Angel' either.

And I am officially stumped.

Perhaps mine was a sample and was not actually picked up for production?...
Maybe???

There were SO many makers of fine figurines at the same time Josef Originals was operating, and often times different companies were making very similar dolls. (Lefton, Napco, Erich Stauffer, etc.)
However, I must say that the quality of Josef Original figurines are far superior to the other brands, and this angel of mine does appear well crafted. And I do know that the Erich Stauffer dolls are of a similar quality and style, and are often mistaken for Josefs. (In fact, one is even incorrectly featured in one of the Josef Originals books!) But, if it was a Stauffer, it would be marked on the underside as such. Argh! Round and round I go!

So what do you think?

Is my angel the real deal?
Or just a look-a-like imposter with a wrong label attached?

Hopefully someone out there can weigh in and either confirm my suspicions, and therefore break my heart.
OR..... and this is the one I'm hoping for....they can reassure me that this item is indeed a bona fide Josef Original, and truly deserves its spot amongst my collection.


He (or she) who hath the knowledge, I summon you forth!


Please help.

Comments

  1. Might be an Erich Stauffer/Arnart Angel, he via Arnart came out with many look a like Josef Originals with black eye Girl Figurines, just a thought & good possibility.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts