Fabricated Fun

About 5 years ago, for reasons unknown, my mother was suddenly stricken with Quilting Fever. I don't know how she picked it up, or where it came from, but it took us all by surprise. All of a sudden, she began talking about things like patterns, fat quarters, and muslin. And she had all these new, special needs: she was requiring that one of the spare bedrooms be turned into her "work room," and she needed all kinds of equipment and things, like a shiny new sewing machine, big tables, special books, and fancy little storage bins. She even required the ability to navigate Pinterest. 
It all came on so fast! 

Sigh

But we all did our best to support her, and her overwhelmed husband, through this confusing and difficult time. We put on our brave faces, but we all knew, and silently agreed....mom would never be the same again.

What none of us knew at the time, though, was that this fever she had was also somewhat contagious. Not to all, it seemed, but to some. Her sister had it too.
I, myself, seemed to have picked up a mutation of it, as my fever was slightly less severe, but just as costly.

At the height of her fever, my mom told me she wanted to craft me a quilt for my birthday since my current, and much-loved one, was falling apart. 
I thought it a very sweet gesture!

"Just look for some fabrics," she'd said.
"Just give me some examples of what you like," she'd said.

Little did I know that that is how it all starts.....

Who in the hell knew there were soooooo many lovely fabrics to be had?!?

It hit me hard.

Looking turned into wanting.
Wanting turned into needing.
Needing turned into buying.

And buying meant having.

Aaaahhhhh....and it made me feel so much better just to 'have'.

It was evident that I had contracted Fabric Fever, minus any of the pesky Quilting Fever symptoms (ie. actual plans, ambition, machinery, etc.). For me, it was just buying and hoarding away for some unknown purpose. I sure as hell wasn't going to let anyone take a pair of scissors to any of it!

So, a few years, and one gigantic and fiercely protected storage bin of fabric later, and there I was: A woman with a butt load of beautiful fabrics, and zero intentions of ever doing a damn thing with them.

Until I had an epiphany, that is.

As you know, I enjoy spending time with the pieces from my cherished Josef Originals collection, and equally so, enjoy taking photos of them. And lately, I had been lamenting the fact that I was growing a bit bored with my solid black background, and was trying to think of other things I could use in my photos that might be a bit more interesting, yet suitable. I was struggling, and resolved myself to the fact that, perhaps, black it shall always be. It is kind of classy, after all.

And then BAM!, like a slap to the face, I was struck with realization....You have a big-ass tote full of fabrics, dummy! 
Fabrics that were just begging to be let out.

And so, that big-ass tote has given way to hours and hours of photo shoot fun. And, unfortunately for my hubby, who despises said big-ass tote, I'm sure that also means more future fabric shopping (and storing) to ensure the fun goes on forever and ever.

Now I can spend hours on end picking out which dolls will look good with which fabrics. 
Oh, the combinations are endless! 'Cause I gotta whole lotta Josefs, and a whole lotta fabric, and I ain't afraid to use em'.

Round One:

Now, there are SO many Josefs that I think would look killer with this green fabric, but here are the ones I tried out on my first foray into photo shoots using fabric:


Josef Originals figurine Amanda Antebellum Series fortheloveofjosefs

Josef Originals figurine Amanda from Antebellum Series fortheloveofjosefs
AMANDA from the Antebellum series
She was the very first girl I thought of doing on this background. 
I couldn't resist all that green!


Josef Originals figurine Melonie from Antebellum Series fortheloveofjosefs
MELONIE from the Antebellum series
Just out taking a stroll....

Josef Originals figurine Autumn Fall from Four 4 seasons series girl with squirrel fortheloveofjosefs
AUTUMN from the Four Seasons series
She looks perfectly at home in front of this woodsy background

josef originals figurine winter from four 4 seasons series girl with bunny rabbit fortheloveofjosefs
WINTER from Four Seasons series
I think this fabric was made for her!


josef originals scarlet from 1850 antebellum series  fortheloveofjosefs
SCARLET from the 1850 series
Cutting through the woods to meet a secret lover, perhaps? Hmm?

josef originals charmaine figurine from 18th xviii century french france series  fortheloveofjosefs
CHARMAINE from the XVIII Century French series
I can just picture her wandering around the grounds 
of some magnificent estate, collecting flowers as she goes


josef originals figurine sophia from italian provincial series italy  fortheloveofjosefs
SOPHIA from the Italian Provincial series
Resting in the shade after a long day collecting grapes 
in the countryside

Josef Originals figurine Maria from Italian Provincial series Italy  fortheloveofjosefs
MARIA from the Italian Provincial series
Lighting gets kind of wonky when my cheap Chinese 
garbage lamps get too hot, but I was on a roll 
(Nothing like the smell of melting plastic to
remind you it's time for a break!)

Josef Originals figurine Gina from Italian Provincial series Italy  fortheloveofjosefs
GINA from the Italian Provincial series
I really do like that green on green look

Josef Originals figurine Antonio from Italian Provincial series Italy  fortheloveofjosefs
ANTONIO from the Italian Provincial series
Straight flexin'

And of course...
Josef Originals figurine set entire complete Italian Provincial Series Italy  fortheloveofjosefs
The entire ITALIAN PROVINCIAL crew
That's one good lookin' group!

Josef Originals girl figurine Rose Roses Flower Girls series  fortheloveofjosefs
ROSE from the Flower Girls series
Basically any "gatherer" works really well with this background



Well, that certainly was a fun first round. Good times, indeed! My piles of fabric have finally found a purpose, and my Josef girls (and guys) get to come out and play.

So to my loving Hubby: Who's buying and storing "useless" fabrics now, smart ass? 

But I digress.

Now, off to get the wrinkles out of the rest of my fabrics!

Comments

  1. Autumn from the four seasons ..
    What can you tell me about her? I inherited her from my grandmother. And can find nothing on her. Like what year she was born? Ect. By the way love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts