A Mission Complete: Rise of the Phoenix

Ok, maybe the title is a little dramatic, but I can't even begin to express the relief I am feeling right now. I feel like my collection has been reborn. Hell, I feel like I've been reborn! (Too much?)

Well, in any case....

I did it! I did it!

I actually freakin' did it! 

All my dolls now have a home and, sweet momma baby, I have room to grow! (Which is major!)

This may seem like a small task to some, or like no big deal, but this had been a HUGE weight on my mind for over a year. It was stressful knowing that I had these beautiful items that I love so much, but felt completely unable to give them their due. They used to be stored respectfully and displayed beautifully, and in a way that was pleasing to the eye. But that was before my collection grew to what it is today. Eventually it got to the point where new dolls just kind of got slipped in where they fit in, and then the rest got jumbled up on top of the shelves. And as I got more and more, the problem just got worse and worse. I was basically drowning in Josefs! (Which, before, would have sounded awesome. But now?....)

First and foremost, I needed to tackle the issue of exactly where I was going to temporarily put the dolls while I was figuring out the organization. My only option would have been the floor, which was a definite NO. I have huge boobs and can't always see my feet. Much too risky. Or there is the bed, which was another NO as I have a cat who still thinks he's a kitten. Also too risky.

Solution?
I bought a 20" x 48" padded, folding card table. It was ample enough to place 20 - 30 dolls on at a time while moving around, cleaning, thinking, stressing, sweating, etc.
Definitely worth the $30. And now I actually have a table to do a puzzle on. Bonus.

After solving that portion of the dilemma, the next thing I needed to do was let go of my hang ups involving keeping certain dolls together, and also come to terms with the fact that some dolls do have to go in the back. And even though they may not be seen as easily, that certainly in no way means that I love them any less.

Once I got those things out of the way, I simply went by size, so as to visually display any given doll as much as possible, but also while using space as wisely as possible.

And then I also took color into consideration so, for instance, there wasn't a bunch of green dolls all bunched together. I wanted a nice array and balance of color.

With all this, I was thankfully able to keep most series together, but some dolls sadly did have to be parted.

It's not perfect, but it's done.
It no longer looks like a complete mess, or like I don't give a damn. And I'm no longer filled with complete and utter shame.

(I know, I know...I should have included "before" pictures, but honestly, it was embarrassing. So just trust me when I say, "It was bad!")

You can bet your sweet ass I had a celebratory drink or two after this little victory. Oh yes.

My Collection...reborn!





I didn't have the right sized risers to give the gals in back the lift I wanted, but I did my very best.

Sadly, because I went to a lower shelf on this unit, some of the girls' heads look cut off on first glance. You gotta get down there.


I tried to keep as many of my rococo ladies together as possible.

My California shelf. 
This was one thing I would not budge on....all California era pieces must stay together on one shelf. Of course, it is packed to the absolute max right now, so if I even get one more California piece, I'm kind of doomed. But we'll deal with that panic inducing dilemma when we get to it.

Room for expansion!
This is kind of my "spill over" shelf for now.


So there it is.
Finally.
For the first time in over a year, I can look at my shelves and breathe.
But more importantly, I can truly enjoy my collection.

I'm happy.

(I'm pleased to report that no Josefs were harmed during this project)

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, you have some of my Must-have pieces that I'm just dying to find! I want to complete my "romance" series, and I only have the seated Italian provincial girl. And the snowflake girl, who I keep getting outbid on! Great idea with the risers. I also keep all my California pieces together :) my problem is that I'm almost out of room in a second cabinet. I've already kicked out most of the glass that used to live there and replaced them with my figurines. I don't know where to put any more but I can't stop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection! So many pieces I have never seen and now want! Ha! The life of a collector. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by!
    I'm happy to say that many more have been added, and sad to say some had to be given up for space. So I've had to re-arrange AGAIN since these pics were put up. I'll be sure to update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Could you help me pleeease. I’m so confused with the dolls.
    I have a doll in a pink dress and she is holding an umbrella and a pet. She is marked July .
    I want to find other figures in the same line but I can’t figure out what line she is from. I looked up tilt head, doll of the month and birthday girls but nothing seems to go along with her.
    Do you happen to know? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance you can find me on Instagram and message me a picture of the item in question? I'm "jenplusj" and post to #fortheloveofjosefs. Hopefully I can help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts